Re: Problems with sarge to etch upgrade

Patrick Cummings wrote:
> Hello list, I just upgraded from sarge to etch using apt-get dist-upgrade. I
> have a few problems. The OS won't completely start.

What is incomplete about the start? Can you login? Can you run applications?

> [...]
>
> I can get the computer to start perfectly if I comment out everything in the
> "start" section from /etc/init.d/x11-common and /etc/init.d/xfree86-common I
> find it weird that I have a problem from theses files since I don't use x11
> at all.

Etch uses Xorg, not XFree86 as in Sarge.  Osamu Aoki reported a similar bug [1]
involving Aptitude and a solution which is summarised on the NewbieDOC wiki [2].
If you do not use X, you could try purging all the X packages.

[2]
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Aptitude_-_using_together_with_Synaptic_and_Apt-get

HTH,

--