Perl locale problem (was: etch upgrade problem (SOLVED))

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 11:24:19 -0500, Seth Goodman wrote:

[...]

> Now on to the PERL locale variable warnings.  These warnings are all
> similar to:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
> perl: warning: please check that your locale settings:
>         LANGUAGE = "en_US:en_GB:en",
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en_US"
>    are supported and installed on your system.
>
> These appear to be generally harmless, but it might be a good time to
> fix the locale so this doesn't continue to happen.  One solution I read
> about was "dpkg-reconfigure locales", but I wanted to ask here before I
> go off and break things further :)  As I recall, these locale errors
> also occurred during the Sarge install long ago, so it is more likely a
> Sarge problem than an Etch problem.

Reconfiguring locales should indeed fix this issue. Make sure to
generate all the locales that you need. You will also be asked if you
want to set one locale as the default for the whole system. This is
probably the easiest way to make sure the locale is defined properly.

However, individual users can still override the default locale setting,
so you might want to run "locale" as both root and your normal user to
check if the output makes sense.

--
Regards,
          Florian