Re: Etch upgrade problem with font server

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 17:39 -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 13:03 -0700, TTSMUJEBNJKU@spammotel.com wrote:
> > Greg Folkert wrote::

> > > At this point, the font server is not needed anymore. As long as you
> > > have fontconfig and the set of fonts by default.
> > >
> > > dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
> > >
> > > Then restart "X", as long you have the files list in the config (which
> > > the defaults are very good) it works.
> > >
> > Since I only connect to my Debian system through remote X sessions, I
> > can configure the X server (Cygwin) to use its own font path; it was
> > simply easier to get the Debian host to supply the fonts and be assured
> > that the fonts would be available.
> >
> > Now that my (remote) X server is no longer crashing because it can't
> > find the xfs server, another problem with the upgrade has cropped up.
> > The XDM login widget fails to appear, but nothing shows up in the
> > /var/log/xdm.log file.  To me, that points to the Xstartup script, but I
> > haven't touched it.
>
> Sure, you can still run the fontserver if you want. Just the Debian
> machine doesn't need it and you should not configure it to use it,
> unless you REALLY want to.
>
> First off you will need to purge the old version off
> 	"apt-get remove --purge xfs" or
> 	"aptitude purge xfs"
>
> This should clear out some of the older deps on it(if any). Seeing as it
> was XF86 xfs font server, its no wonder it doesn't run, things are just
> plain missing and have been moved around drastically.
>
> Then, once we get back, the prompt:
> 	"apt-get install xfs" or
> 	"aptitude install xfs"
>
> Then you will need to modify the config, commenting out:
> 	no-listen = tcp
> 	#no-listen = tcp
>
> Then perform a "/etc/init.d/xfs restart"
>
> Once done, "netstat -na | grep 7100" will verify it is listening.
>
> TO be sure, this does open up your machine to a possible Dos, unless you
> are behind a proper firewall or are tunneling, etc...
>
> Hope this helps.

Of course, I completely missed the XDM problem. I'll bet the OLD stuff
is still hanging around. I don't use XDM, but I do use GDM.

Since most pieces of Xorg are modular, so is XDM.

I'd do a "apt-get install --reinstall xdm"

Or possibly (if you have another Display Manager) choose to use the
other display manager temporarily and then purge "xdm" and then
reinstall it.

I am surprised this has happened.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net