setting the right time zone

Hello

On my partner's Etch machine, the time zone seems to default to one that is not appropriate. I am wanting the time zone for England, but whenever my partner logs in, the system time shows Guernsey which is one hour ahead of UK BST. I've checked the BIOS clock and that is accurate. I've tried adjusting it through the KDE Control Centre, but again, this works only for that session, and even after that, the setting still shows Guernsey rather than London. Whenever she logs in again, it is one hour ahead of actual time.

I suspect that I might have to fix this at a more system-wide level than that offered by KDE, but don't know where to start. Can someone be kind enough to give me a couple of pointers please.

Many thanks

/@