Re: MBR Confusion?

> > I've attached an external hard drive to my etch AMD64 box, booted my
> > AMD64 box into the debian installer, and installed a fresh i386 etch
> > onto the external drive.
> >
> > Now I can't boot my box without the external drive attached
> > you're done.
>
> It looks like the MBR of your Etch installation was rewritten so that
> grub now looks for /boot on the external drive.
>
> The Etch installer disk has a rescue mode which should allow you to
> make your normal installation bootable again.

I tried this, but no luck.  I typed "rescue" at the installer's "boot:"
prompt, and the installer started in "Rescue Mode."  It eventually came
to the point of listing all HD partitions on the system, and told me to
select one to perform rescue operations on.  However, no matter which
partition I select I immediately get a failure message.  I go to the
console on Alt/F4 to see syslog messages, and all I see is basically a
"device busy" error when the installer tries to mount the partition.