Re: MBR Confusion?

> > I've attached an external hard drive to my etch AMD64 box, booted
> > my AMD64 box into the debian installer, and installed a fresh i386
> > etch onto the external drive.
> >
> > Now I can't boot my box without the external drive attached,
> > because grub complains with "error 21."
>
> So boot into AMD64 with the drive attached, then grub-install
> /dev/path-to-internal-drive.

This doesn't work:

mmiller@xpc1:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sdc
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 484: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 484: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 484: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 484: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
/usr/sbin/grub-install: line 484: /usr/sbin/grub: cannot execute binary file
The file /boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly.

Maybe this is related to my original problem of not being able to chroot
into that i386 system:

mmiller@xpc1:~$ sudo chroot /mnt/debinst /bin/bash
chroot: cannot run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error