Re: ext3 Partition 6GB less than underlying logical volume even after resizing using resize2fs

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 09:58:41PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> On 4/6/07, Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 06:52:30PM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> >> I got a Server Installed with LVM by a third party.
> >> the /var/www is on LV /dev/vg1/www
> >> df -h Shows  /var/www is only 394 GB
> >> whereas lvdisplay shows /dev/vg1/www to be 400 GB
> >
> >I use JFS for everything, running Etch with its 2.6 kernel and I haven't
> >had any problems.
> >

> Have you used JFS on LVM with large sized Logical Volumes and extended
> online with the syntax
>
> mount -o remount,resize /home
>
> without specifying file system size in blocks as in
>
> mount -o remount,resize=1048576 /home

I have JFS on LVM on raid1.

I have been chicken to resize my / fs (its a bit small) until Etch is
stable.  I plan to do this when it is stable after I've downloaded and
burned CD1.

Since you already have LVM set up, why not create an LV, put JFS on it,
extend the LV, then resize the JFS and see how it goes?

I started, like everyone else, with ext2.  I used to live in an area
with frequent power failures without a UPS.  I tried ext3 but still had
fs problems.  I tried reiser; ditto.  Once JFS came out, I tried it and
it has been great.

LVM/raid is new to me since I installed Etch on my new box.  I havn't
tried a resize yet.

Doug.