Re: Newbie Questions - Program dir?

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007, Randy Patterson wrote:

I am in the process of RTFM, I'm in chapter 4 :-) and have googled without
really finding an answer. When installing non-Debian packages (EsayEclipse
for PHP) from tar.gz files, where is the best place to put them in the dir
structure so that all users will have access to them? Is there a 'right'
place or does it matter as long as they are outside a users home dir?

Thanks in Advance!
Randy

/usr/local/bin/ always seems like a good place, most software done through the standard ./configure && make && make install , will default to /usr/local for its install.

for more info on where things are and where they should go, see:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

 -+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.