Re: Relabel partition didn't work

Manon Metten wrote:
> Linux debian 2.6.18-4-486 #1 Mon Mar 26 16:39:10 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>

> Hi,
>
> I want to change the name and access point of a partition on my second hd.
> It's labeled /xyz now (coz I could think of no better name when
> installing etch).
> I tried this:
>
> e2label /dev/hdb4
> xyz
>
> e2label /dev/hdb4 store
>
> e2label /dev/hdb4
> store
>
> So seemingly the label has changed.
>

> I edited /etc/fstab accordingly:
>
> changing  /dev/hdb4       /xyz            ext3    defaults        0       2
>            to  /dev/hdb4       /store         ext3    defaults
> 0       2
>

> Then I rebooted, only to find this message popping up during boot time:
>
>    mount: mount point /store does not exist
>
> There was no further error during boot time and kde was up and running.
> Then I'd reset everything and could mount and access /xyz as before.
>
> What did I do wrong and how do I change /xyz to /store?
>

> Greetings, Manon Metten.

What in the world is e2label?  It doesn't show up in my search.  What is
it today, national "People from other distros" day?

Changing the entry in fstab should be enough, but you do need to create
the mountpoint for it.

mkdir /store in your case, but I would strongly suggest that you stick
to POSIX names and mount it to /mnt/store instead, or perhaps /media/store

Joe

- --