Re: SMTP and ports 25 and 1025.

On 04.04.07 20:21, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Since I am more or less mobile in a Motorcaravan, I have the need to go
> to Internet Cafes to send my (postponed) messages.  Now, exactly since
> 7 weeks, the French ISP <http://www.free.fr/> is blocking port 25 and I
> can not more send ANY messages to my own ISP <http://www.freenet.de/>.
>
> "Free.fr" told me I should use there SMTP-Relay <smtp.free.fr> but
> it does not work, since 90% of receivers of my messages rejecting
> messages which come from SMTP-Relays which do not match the Domain-
> Part of the sender.

that's sick "antispam" feature since this is quite common in the world, just
a few mail domains have outgoing server with DNS name in them. No virtual
domains at ISPs I'd say.

Did you check if your sender domain has SPF records? freenet.de does not
have any. However, courier MTA does have 'freemail' option (in bofh file)
that configures this behavior for configured domains.

> > Although it's of course possible to run unauthenticated submission for local
> > networks on port 587, I'd say that's very bad idea. Using authentication
> > gives benefits like better spam score to the senders, and easier
> > configuration to admins.
>
> Now I have configured my "ssmtp" on my Laptop to use port 587!!!
>
> Not realy recommended because now, TLS/SSL does not more work and
> the password is transfered in clear text.  On the other hand, it
> pass the proxy of <free.fr> and I can send messages again.

You can try port 465, it may be used for smtp/ssl, but it is possible that
they do not allow SSL/TLS at all. You can still ask for encryption.