Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 05:22:30PM +0000, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 18:31:11 -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote in
> [🔎] 20070403223111.GA18304@santiago.connexer.com:
>
> > I'm sorry, but who decided that the memos were of "dubious legal merit"?
> > The media?  Please forgive me if I consider their motives suspect.
>
> ..the Red Cross have suspect motives?
>
> > Now, if there has been a court decision which invalidates the Justice

No, the media has suspect motives.  The Red Cross generally has OK
motives, though they are a bit left-leaning in their official views.

> > If it weren't for the fact that the prisoners often attack or otherwise
> > harrass the guards I might be more sympathetic.  IIRC, Gereman soldiers
> > were held in POW camps in Canada during WWII.  Now, I'm sure that some
> > tried to escape (what POW wouldn't).  But despite how despicable the
> > German military's actions were, my understanding based on history is
> > that as POWs they were still professional soldiers.
>
> ..actually no, the vast majority was draftees.

I did not mean professional as in career volunteer soldiers.  I was
referring to their comportment while POWs.

> > They did not sling feces and urine at their guards.
> > They did not attack their guards and
> > try to infect them with disease.
>
> ..this is actually an old Christian Feudal European military strategy and
> proved very effective against the native "Indian" American, use the
> complete medieval Christian lack of hygiene as a biological weapon
> against the Maya etc civilizations, one such conquistador brought 300
> pigs across to somewhere between NOLA and Boston around 1500-1525 to
> introduce pig borne deceases to kill off 95 to 99+% of the "redskins",
> AFAIR what I read.  Early intruders reported "big cities" and "public
> baths", all this was gone by 1600-1650AD and the native Americans were
> living in the "Wild West", when the English started to arrive in numbers.
>
> ..and keep in mind the victors are the ones who get to spin History
> itself, Their Way[TM], whenever you read whatever purports to be History.

What are you babbling on about?  All as I was saying was that the
incidents of prisoners' abusive behavior towards the guards can make it
very difficult for the guards to treat them nicely.

> > Just go read some of the accounts of
> > the people who have served as guards in some of these places.  The
> > accounts read worse than those of guards in maximum security prisons or
> > death row.
> >
> > My perspective is this.  We start off treating them nice and
> > professionally.
>
> ..where?  Sissy Boy George started these war crimes by policy,
> before invading Afghanistan.

Cite?

> ..or, is "treat them nice" just your personal wannabe ambition?

I did say "My perspective is this" to start off with.  As in, if I were
in charge, that is the policy I would institute.

> > When they start acting like animals, then we treat them
> > as such.  By all accounts, the prisoners are treated quite
> > professionally at first.  It is only when they become vicious towards
> > the staff that incidents of retribution or what might be considered
> > humiliating and degrading treatment happen.
> >
> >>      Televising pictures of them. (funny, how we now condemn Iran for
> >>      doing similar.  I'm not defending Iran's actions, but it's rather
> >>      hypocritical for us to criticize them for doing things that we
> >>      also do)
> >
> > Umm, the "we" you are talking about is the news media.
>
> ..you forget the Iranian media here.

I don't get it.  Why should the US be hed responsible for the actions of
the Iranian media?

> > Nothing.  I am in agreement that GC protections should be accorded.
>
> ..define "accorded", or tell me why you argue against the full 4 Geneva
> Conventions.

"Accorded" means to be conferred.  As in, they should be accorded the
protections to which they *would* be entitled were they lawful
combatants.  Of course, they are not lawful combatants and so not
legally entitled.  However, it is a show of goodwill and civility.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez