Re: "I do consider Ubuntu to be Debian" , Ian Murdock

Am 2007-03-27 10:07:39, schrieb Dan H.:
> But at the same time Debian offers the "testing" and "unstable" distros,
> both of which are perfectly fine for the desktop user. There's no need
> to cling to stable unless you're running a server that must be 100%
> reliable.

Right!

> And if you must have 100% reliability, and you must use testing for
> whatever reason, you can check the BTS to see which packages are holding
> up the transition to stable. Chances are pretty good that you don't even
> want any of those on your system, so you can go ahead and use testing
> without a single RC bug.

Not realy right.

I was runing three very HUGE PostgreSQL 7.4 databases of each 560 GByte
running on Sarge for years...  Now I was hit by a grave performance
problem and considered to upgrade to Etch.  This was for some month!

I have checked the outstanding RC bugs from Testing/Etch and considered,
that there are not RC bugs/packages for my PostgreSQL servers and
installed.  Including PostgreSQL 8.1.

Since I need PostgreSQL 8.2 (because table partitioning) which is NOT
EVEN in Unstable/Sid I had to pack it my own! -- With success and
without problems!  -- Now it runs since some weeks without any errors.

I hope, it will enter Unstable/Sid very fast, since it is realy annoying
to package new versions nearly each week for me alone!

In summary, since Etch will be released wehen it is ready, - sorry, soon,
I can consider Etch as STABLE FOR ME.

> I don't know what all these complaints are about. I had been running
> stable on my desktop up to January, but then I got too impatient about
> etch and just went ahead and installed it. It's been running hitch-free
> since (except for some rare, inexplicable 100%-crashes which seem to
> have gone away as I keep upgrading kernels).

Since I need an 100% availlable Office-Workststion I run Stable/Sarge.
For me, there is not a singel need to run the last release of a software,
with some realy MINOR exceptions. (PostgreSQL-client and some related
libs)

My dedicated Devel-Station (Dual-Opteron) is running all 4 releases and
is another thing.

Same for my dedicated Multimedia-Station which run definitivly the latest
Versions and many in Debian non-availlable software... where I have my
own Debian-Packages (not realy for Debian, -- SINCE THEY WORK FOR ME!)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)