fetchmail syslog messages

I've turned on logging in fetchmail because I'm curious about some
claims that it (fetchmail, not loggign) does bad things. I find that
every time fetchmail polls my ISP's imap server it writes the
following messages into syslog:

Apr  3 12:40:02 big fetchmail[4337]: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != mail.mesanetworks.net
Apr  3 12:40:02 big fetchmail[4337]: Server certificate verification error: self signed certificate

and then procedes to download the email with progress report
messages that appear to be just fine.

What are these two messages?

mail.mesanetworks.net is my ISP imap server, which I have instructed
fetchmail to poll. Why fetchmail thinks I would want to use it to get
mail from localhost is a puzzle ;-) Ideas?

I don't recall ever having an occasion to deal with certificates when
installing fetchmail. Is this a broken security "feature", or what?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net