Re: OT Mac OS X and Etch NFS question

Paul E Condon wrote:
On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 03:06:42PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 12:07 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
I want to set up Mac running OS X v 10.4 as a NFS server
so that I can have one of my Debian boxes read files from
it on an NFS mount. Can anyone, please point me to some
instructions on setting up OS X as an NFS server?
Paul, there are pointy-clicky things for OSX to setup NFS exports.

/Applications/Utilities/NetInfo Manager

Authenticate as an admin, or the button on the bottom of the window that
says something like: "click to to make changes" or something similar.

Then just follow the directions, the procedure is fairly trivial.

Well I couldn't find any directions to follow. I wonder - do I need
OS X Server? I have 'Mac OS X 10.4.9', but when I google for info, I see
references to 'Mac OS X Server'.

My Mac doesn't have the file /etc/exports . I look at the screen display
from Netinfo Manager and don't see mention of anything that might be nfs
related. But ... see below

If you have the luxury of a reboot, do that. OSX will start the daemons
auto-magically. If not... I believe a command prompt and using sudo will
do fine.

To start the daemons, (I am doing all of this on memory here)

sudo /usr/sbin/portmap
sudo /sbin/nfsd -t -u -n8

Both the these programs are installed and man pages are available. And,
there is a man page for 'exports'. But that man page goes into great
detail about something called user credentials, which I do not (yet)
understand. It appears that I could compose and appropriate 'exports',
I could get nfs access to the files on the map working without Netinfo
Manager.
To follow this route, I need pointers to quick explanations of BSD
exports. Suggestions?

Portmap is needed for most requests, nfsd actually starts the nfs
exports the switches are what I have used in the past, "-t" is for tcp,
"-u" is for udp and "-n8" is for the number to start out with. mountd is
automagically started upon reboot, but is not really needed, as far as I
know.
--
Found some good instructions on the net:

Exporting NFS mounts: http://mactechnotes.blogspot.com/2005/09/mac-os-x-as-nfs-server.html And for completeness: how to mount remote NFS filesystems under OSX: http://mactechnotes.blogspot.com/2005/08/mac-os-x-as-nfs-client_31.html