Re: Tool to monitor system downtimes?

On Thursday 29 March 2007 07:50, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 03/29/07 02:52, Joerg Lange wrote:
> > On 3/28/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> >> Parse this single line file: /proc/loadavg.
> >
> > Thats what I already do in the perl program I wrote, in order to get
> > the latest load (first number is the average per 1 minute)...
>
> Oh, sorry.  When you wrote /monitors *only* real downtimes at the
> moment/ I though you meant that it did not yet track system load.
>
> >                                                               Is there
> > anything else you want to tell me, something that I missed?
>
> Other than that your mother dresses you funny?  Nope.  :P
>
> Seriously, though, I'd insert the records into an SQLite database,
> so that you can create all sorts of trend reports.

i'd suggest RRD (round robin database) - see the rrdtool package. with any
other databases, you have to deal with data accumulation over years of usage.
with RRD, it keeps averages where you get detailed info for the present, and
less detailed but still useful data for anytime in the past (well, for a
reasonable re-definition of 'anytime'). and the file size is always constant.

i have all kinds of performance data for the past 3-4 years yet i don't have
to worry about archiving old data or overflowing or ending up with
garguantian data files.

--

anoop aryal
aaryal@foresightint.com