Re: Debian User List

On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 01:06:31PM EDT, John C wrote:

> Greg Folkert wrote:

> >>A better question would be.. Why would those who are tired of the
> >>OT bull sessions want you to?
> >>
> >>It would probably be a lot better for the new users to help
> >>themselves than to be pawns for your ego. Sure they'll make
> >>mistakes, but I suspect they'll learn more in the long run.
> >
> >Piss-off. I don't do it for ego, but it seems you do.
>

> Actually, that was a little harsher than I meant it to be Greg.
> You are not the worst offender. However, if you wonder where the
> ego comment came from, please notice the highlighted *I* in your
> statement quoted below. Then ask yourself why anyone would
> highlight a pronoun when talking about themselves?
>
> "Okay, so why would *I* subscribe to that list?"

Er .. Such highlighting of a word is by convention just an attempt to
convey in writing the meaning carried by stressing one particular word
in the spoken form of the English language.

Compare:

_I_ did it    vs.       I _did_ it
_I_ know      vs.       I _know_

or ..

it was in _my_ house
it _was_ in my house
it was in my _house_

All convey a different meaning.

But you probably know that ..

> ----------------------------
> ego n
> 1: an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others
>            [syn: {egotism}, {self-importance}]
> 2: your consciousness of your own identity [syn: {self}]
> 3: (psychoanalysis) the conscious mind
> -----------------------------

> As for the Debian User list, there is little value in monitoring
> it anymore. In the days of "Bo" and "Hamm" it was by far the most
> technically valuable and helpful list on the net, but that day
> has passed. It now consists of much more self important bullshit
> than debian related discussion. As a result, in the last few
> months I've learned more about the politics, religion and sex
> life of other users than I ever wanted to know.
>
> Since my only reason for remaining on the list all these years
> was simply to keep abreast of the progress of the Debian
> community and since that community seems to be morphing into
> something less than it could be, I've decided to unsubscribe.

Sounds like you are suffering from a bad case of "superiority to
others" and "self-importance" yourself by the look of it.

Why did you bother telling us all this?

> But before doing so, I just wanted to say "thank you" to all who
> contributed to my knowledge of Debian and of Linux over the years
> either directly by helping me with a problem or indirectly by
> helping other users with their problems.
>
> Thanks, and that thanks includes several of the OT posters.

Well, I hope you change your mind .. you sound more like a civilized
kinda a guy just having a bad day.

> John

Thanks,
cga