Re: Is it possible to get the database of packages.debian.org?

jfr.fg@freenet.de wrote:

> the package dpkg-www   http://packages.debian.org/stable/doc/dpkg-www
> is quite similar, but it doesn't allow to search for packages,
> which were never installed on a system or which aren't yet in
> sources.list.

apt-cache is the fastest utility I know of for searching/displaying info
about a package. If you want to also see packages from other
distributions you must add it to sources.list, but, *very important*,
don't forget to set the Default-Release in /etc/apt/apt.conf or you
might mess up your system.

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. If you want a GUI you can try Synaptic, but I doubt it's as fast
as apt-cache
(Albert Einstein)