Re: [OT] How much open is OpenSolaris?

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 04:26:17 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote in
20070331042617.3f8df971@think.homenet:

> Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:
>
>> The CDDL (used by OpenSolaris) is a license that is accepted as
>> doubtlessly free by the OSS community.
>
> ... but GPL incompatible:
>
> From http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html
>
>  Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)
>
>     This is a free software license which is not a strong copyleft; it
> has some complex restrictions that make it incompatible with the GNU
> GPL. It requires that all attribution notices be maintained, while the
> GPL only requires certain types of notices. Also, it terminates in
> retaliation for certain aggressive uses of patents. So, a module covered
> by the GPL and a module covered by the CDDL cannot legally be linked
> together. We urge you not to use the CDDL for this reason.

..even Sun agrees here, and that "IP" policy is by design.

>     Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term "intellectual
> property".

..for those interested in the finer details of these litigation traps,
there is _extensive_ discussion over at http://groklaw.net/ .  ;o)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: