Re: keeping tar quiet in script

I'm using a simple script for making backups with tar. I can't make tar quiet, so cron keeps mailing me 'Removing leading `/' from member names' . Adding > /dev/null doesn't help. What can I do to catch tar's output and keep it from shouting all over the place?

a "> /dev/null" redirects  stdout to /dev/null, but stderr is left untouched.
a "&> /dev/null" redirects both stdout and stderr to /dev/null.

A google search for redirection bash brings you here:

Tnx,

Peter

-- Never argue with idiots; they'll drag you down to their own level and beat you on experience.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.