Re: [OT] How much open is OpenSolaris?

Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling) wrote:

> The CDDL (used by OpenSolaris) is a license that is accepted as
> doubtlessly free by the OSS community.

... but GPL incompatible:

From http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html

 Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL)

    This is a free software license which is not a strong copyleft; it
has some complex restrictions that make it incompatible with the GNU
GPL. It requires that all attribution notices be maintained, while the
GPL only requires certain types of notices. Also, it terminates in
retaliation for certain aggressive uses of patents. So, a module
covered by the GPL and a module covered by the CDDL cannot legally be
linked together. We urge you not to use the CDDL for this reason.

    Also unfortunate in the CDDL is its use of the term "intellectual
property".

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)