Re: [OT] How much open is OpenSolaris?

On 3/30/07, Bruno Buys <bruno.grupos@gmail.com> wrote:
From time to time I grab a diferent OS to install and try my hands at
it. This time was OpenSolaris. The thing is, at some point in the
install, OpenSolaris throws a license at my face that doesn't seem open
at all. I can run the software, but I can't redistribute, copy, etc.
The Wikipedia article on the CDDL does not mention such restrictions. Can you give us more information? Such as the text of the license or, if it has a name, its name? What you speak of does not seem like the CDDL.

Perhaps Sun has devised a way to put the software under a free license but found a legal way to restrict its use. Like Novell. But perhaps you are just mistaken, and, frankly, I think it is more likely. The release of Solaris as free software was such an important event that if there were evil hidden restrictions in it, there would be a lot of noise in the free software community.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.