post Header update probs with KDE apps

Hiya

The software update installed new headers, etc. today and instructed me to reboot in order to load up new modules, even though the header was the same as my existing header (I'm sorry this is not clearer - I'd just stumbled out of bed). When I did so I found that KSCD and KMail - which ordinarily both sit in the system tray in Gnome - didn't load into the system tray and KMail kept reporting an error starting pop3 processes. However, it would still successfully retrieve e-mails.

Not sure what all this was so rebooted into the previous kernel image (which is the current situation) and all is fine. Ergo, it must be something with the new header files and image that was downloaded. On this basis, should I remove the update (and if so, which is the safest way to do so) or does anyone know of a way to use the new image/headers and work around these other issues?

Thanks for any help

/@