Re: sarge + dist-upgrade = ?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>You still have sarge, unless you changed the sources.list to point to
>something else. You've got the most recent sarge w/ security updates
>(I think that is on by default). I guess that's 3.1 r3 or so.

OK.

Q: That's because "Etch" is not yet "the official latest Debian"? or because
dist-upgrade won't ever move ahead from Sarge?

I've somehow messed up the system baddly when, after having installed
gcc-4.0.2 side-by-side, tried to switch back to gcc-3.4. I think I screw up
but the symlinks or so.

I figured that if I need to do something drastic (like re-installing) I
better take the oportunity to move ahead to Etch.

TIA

Fernando Cacciola