Re: Woohooo! Dell + Linux

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:59:35AM -0300, Cassiano Leal wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

On 03/29/07 09:34, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 14:55 +0100, Paul Walsh wrote:
Passed to me by a colleague:

*grin*
I'm not cheering just yet, but I am being cautiously optimistic. From
reading this, it seems like Dell maybe, maybe, have got the message
right;

       "Dell recognizes the importance of open source, GPL-licensed
       drivers which are maintained upstream in kernel.org. They allow
       users the widest choice of Linux distributions, effectively
       taking the specific hardware and distribution out of the
       decision-making process and let you focus on solving your
       business problems. We will work with our hardware partners to
       develop, test, and maintain Free drivers, and continue to make
       progress towards that goal for all drivers."
Now *that* is darned encouraging!

>From http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/03/28/9655.aspx
That is great news!

I'll probably hold on to buy a laptop and see if these babies are really worth the shot!

I tend to build my own boxes, but rest assured, I *will* buy at least
one dell just to support this effort -- assuming it all comes to
fruition.

Lots of Dell here in Mexico: can you imagine seeing a box for sale with *Linux* on it?! Far out!

Hugo