Re: sound blaster card

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 11:43:11AM +0100, michael wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 11:36 +0100, michael wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 01:36 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > >
> > > regardless, do you know which module? and can you manually insert it to
> > > see what happens?
> > >

> > I'm pretty sure it wants the ca0106 but I can't find it
> > (NB this box is 'stable' dist, the other which worked was 'unstable')
> > However am confused as to why we don't need to discover why alsaconf
> > isn't finding card before we worry about modules?
>
> mmm.. maybe the answer is staring me in the face: unstable has a later
> version of ALSA than stable...
>
> so how would I go about installing *just* ALSA from unstable?

I wouldn't even try. You need the right kernel modules to match your
kernel.

lets back up. We know this card works with unstable and some 2.6
kernel version. Which kernel version are you running in stable?

umm... never mind, google says that ca0106 showed up in 2.6.11 which
is not in stable. To use this card with stable you'll either need a
backported kernel (and probably alsa* as well) or you need to upgrade
to etch (and that's probably not a bad idea at this point).