Re: What's the best way to get from stable to testing?

wix@eskimo.com:

> It seems that the testing dist has more good stuff in it than stable,
> but how do I upgrade?

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to include source lines for etch, run
'aptitude update && aptitude upgrade', then 'aptitude dist-upgrade'.
During the last stept you have to make sure aptitude doesn't try to
remove packages you really need. Maybe you have to run it a few times to
resolve all dependencies. That's it.

> I tried doing a network install but neither of the choices to build
> init.rd worked, so that was a few hours wasted.

Why do you need to build an initrd yourself when installing from
scratch?

> Oh yeah. When I get to that point, which kernel do I choose? I
> have a P4 but I have no idea which to use except for 386.

686 should be fine.

J.
--
Scientists know what they are talking about.
[Agree]   [Disagree]