Re: OT: Hardware diagnostic

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 10:10 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
> > Not Debian-related at all, but you folks are brilliant ....
>
> Didn't I say you folks were brilliant?!
>
> Thanks, Greg! Your hints to tinker with the drive's BIOS settings paid
> off. Here's what I finally settled on that works:
>
> LBA Mode = Enabled
> 32 Bit I/O = Enabled
> Transfer Mode = Standard
> Ultra DMA Mode = Disabled
>
> btw, this BIOS would not let me access the SMART setting; it's enabled
> with no option to disable it.
>
> I've looked for a BIOS update and have been unable to find one; HP's web
> site says that if I don't find one, there's not one available.
>
> And to you and Joe, I'll look into replacing the BIOS battery also. Thanks!
>
> Now, as soon as I get the system restored (which is going swimmingly -
> W00t!), I'll boot into Knoppix, free up 2/3s of the drive, and then
> install Etch. Swee-ee-eet!
>
> Thanks, folks!

At least *ONE* of the hints actually gave you the desired outcome.

You are welcome. I'll take my fee as contributions back to the
list... :) Which you do already.

Now if we could just get everyone to ask smart questions like you did
originally.

Of course you realize this will never happen.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup