LDAP 2.3 with etch

hi,

my os is "etch" with "openldap version 2.3.30".

if I liked to provide the ldap-data base with "smbldap-populate" I get the message:

failed to add entry: Can't contact LDAP server at /usr/sbin/smbldap-populate lin
e 471, <GEN1> line 21.

Please provide a password for the domain root:
Can't contact LDAP server at /usr/sbin//smbldap_tools.pm line 341.

If I make the same at "sarge" and "openldap version 2.2.23" with the same configuration, it works.

what I must make with the configuration differently?

thank
stefan