Re: To be M$ free....

On Tue, 2007-03-27 at 21:39 -0400, Jim Hyslop wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Am 2007-03-12 11:25:57, schrieb Mike McCarty:
> >
> >>This whole thread strikes me as unusually rancorous. ISTM
> >>that MS is providing a Good Thing, and STILL one complains about
> >>being "stuck" with it. Here is a place where MS is better than
> >>Linux, yet that still does not get acknowledged.
> >

> > No, M$ is NOT better then Linux and there is only a product
> > based on M$ Windows which is currently the ONLY solution.
> >
> > And I repeat:  M$ Windows is NOT better then Linux.
>
> That's not what Mike said. He said that *one particular aspect* of
> Windows (I don't remember which now, the conversation is long gone) is
> better than that particular aspect in Linux. That is not the same as
> saying that Windows is better than Linux.

It was all about Dragon Naturally Speaking, Voice Recognition.

In this particular area, there is truly only one choice and platform.
Not that Windows is better at it, but that that it is the ONLY platform
it is written for. Like it or not, if only one platform is available,
what are you going to do? Especially when your livelihood depends on it.
Heck, I'd even swallow that bitter pill.

There are experimental projects, but sadly most (actually, all I found)
appear to be stagnant or abandoned. Those that are stagnant but not
actually abandoned won't compile with newer versions of compilers or
newer versions of glibc or both. Some abandoned projects need components
only available from some proprietary commercial organizations that
aren't even *ON THE 'NET* anymore or not even *IN* business nor have any
trace of them left, that is currently valid.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup