Re: /dev/tty perms for xlinks2

Andrei Popescu wrote:
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

A few days ago xlinks2 was mentioned on this list and I decided to
give it a try.

When I try to run it from within X as a normal user, no problem.

When I try to run it outside of X as root, no problem.

When I try to run it outside of X as a normal user, I get an error
about opening /dev/tty0 because of permission issues.

westk@canuhold:~$ ls -l /dev/tty0
crw-rw---- 1 root root 4, 0 2007-03-07 10:04 /dev/tty0

I could change the group to "tty" or something and then add my normal user into that group, but is there perhaps a
better/safer/more-canonical way?

Interesting. On my system:

ls -l /dev/tty2
crw------- 1 amp77 tty 4, 2 2007-03-27 23:20 /dev/tty2

What are you running (stable, testing, ...?)

Etch

westk@canuhold:~$ ls -l /dev/tty2
crw------- 1 westk tty 4, 2 2007-03-26 14:13 /dev/tty2

On this box, tty2 is the only file owned by me and the group tty; all others are root.root (until you get to the tty[a..z] group, which is then root.tty).

--
Kent