Hardware Change .... How to update

Hi,

Previously I had Lucent "winmodem", which is NOT supported in GNU/Debian or any
linux. So I have changed and brought 2 new: 1) Apache CONEXANT 2) US Robotics, which
are both hardware based. Since my understanding of linux is that of novice, I assume
that at the time of installation, debian detects hardware and lists them in some
file. And unlike Windows, its NOT PnP. So I would like to ask:

What must I do for my Debian to see new modem and install/use it for 56k connection?
It is internal PCI-based. If in any case it might help, it is
US Robotics, A-Modem/PCI, USR90-11, E124323.1

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
 - K

PS: I have Debian 3.1 Sarge installed on my machine.

Get your own web address.