Re: NVIDIA and Etch : WAS Re: Problems with GRUB and SATA

Ian Broadbent wrote:
Question please... should the driver be 'nvidia' or 'nv', (if
'nvidia'
-  any suggestions as to what I am missing?)  ... if it's should be
'nv' in any event .. then can someone help me find the settings for
this to get the colours to be accurately displayed?
It depends.  IIRC 'nv' is the open source driver that comes with Xorg
and 'nvidia' is the proprietary driver.  Which one you use depends on
what you want out of your card I suppose.

Thanks Magnus, with the 'nv' all I get is basic graphics.  The modules
and various bits'n'pieces for the 3d acceleration and advanced elements
all load and report (via the log files) as being 'ok',.... but each time
(and I have now rebuilt the kernel with the proprietory driver pack 5
times with various options selected and deselected) I fire it up with
'nvidia' in the xorg.conf file it fails with warnings about no instance
for NVIDIA and the X-server failing with a 'Caught signal 11'.

Also note that there are two versions of the proprietary driver
available in Debian (at least in Sid); the package names for the older
one end with -legacy.  On top of this there's a new version of the
driver out, but it doesn't seem to have hit Sid yet AFAIU it removes
support for some older cards.

Yep, I was aware of that thanks.... I haven't gone the legacy route
because this is meant to be a 'new' motherboard and revised NVIDIA
chipset (NF-6100-406)... so I presumed that going 'legacy' would not be
much use.

Sorry I can't help you out more than this...

/M

Thanks for at least responding Magnus.... I have been asking the same
questions now for days of various forums ... and folks must be getting
as sick of me asking as I am of trying to get this thing to work.

I have read dozens of trails about this 'Signal 11' ... but so far not
one of them has thrown any light on it.  (The error codes listed for the
xserver are about as obscure as they could be ... at least the version I
downloaded was).

I must have done something really dumn... but I just can't figure this
one out.  I suspect it has somethign to do with the warning about there
being no instance for NVIDIA at 00:1:3 (or 00:0:13 ... quite why they
keep alternating is also a mystery to me).

Try commenting the PCI bus line out of the xorg.conf and see if the driver can auto detect the card. Otherwise, look at lspci -v for details of the bus.

Ah well,   ... as written .. thanks for responding at least.

Ian

HTH

Wackojacko