Re: Uninstall (nearly) everything installed after spacific date

Joe Hart wrote:

Bob wrote:
8< Snip original thread, to see it in all it's glory go here
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_frm/thread/d273b566e1a761d5/3bb0f539cdd82281?

Thought I'd update the list on my progress on this,
*WARNING THIS WILL BRAKE YOUR INSTALL* but the reasons are interesting
8< snip
The process went fine but I uninstalled networking so gave up and
reinstalled, the problem is when a package gets updated it causes it to
appear on a different date that that on-which it was initially installed
so you can easily remove something you want to keep.

If I had been a little more cautious or if I was removing less from the
system it would have gone fine, all I need is a way of listing packages
by when they were *first* installed.

Hay ho, it's no substitute for aptitude but it was an interesting
experiment.

I would agree.  End result is a broken system.  Much better just to use
aptitude and mark packages individually.  My addition to the script was
only as a learning exercise and Tyler fixed it to do exactly what was
wanted.  I never would dream of running that.

What I don't get is why someone would even do something like that in the
first place.  If one is worried about bloat, then install a base system
and add only packages that are needed.

Well for reasons explained elsewhere in the thread I found myself in the position of wanting something like this, and since I was going to reinstall anyway, I thought this might be a fun alternative.

Another thought is that if I made a list of the packages in my base install and had a way of subtracting the contents of one list from another that might work.

Heh, I'm going to stick Sid on it for kicks before reinstalling etch and setting it up as my MythTV backend.