Re: deleting content of /tmp

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:25:08PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>     tmpfile()
>         Return a new file object opened in update mode ("w+b").
>         The file has no directory entries associated with it and
>         will be automatically deleted once there are no file
>         descriptors for the file. Availability: Macintosh, Unix,
>         Windows.
>
> What I meant was os.tempnam().  Which the documentation indicates is
> vulnerable to symlink attacks.
>
> Not being able to exclusively lock a file is a definite weakness.

Christ, no. It makes backups a buttload more complicated then they
otherwise need be. I absolutely loathe backing up windows files beacuse
of what mostlikely is a similar attitude. That's bad design.

All in all I think you're making a mountain out of flat grass-plains
here. There is nothing inherently faulty, false or wrong in what the
zebra do there. For one, it makes sure that it is truly temporary. If
the app exits in some bizare way then no harm done.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."