Re: deleting content of /tmp

Can someone advise me on the pros and cons of deleting the contents of
/tmp/ as part of general security conscious non-paranoia. I was thinking
that it would be an okay thing to do periodically (or at logout, etc.)
using a overwriting/shredding program. But, before I committed myself,
decided it was prudent to ask.

From the FHS:
tmp : Temporary files

Purpose

The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require temporary
files.

Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are preserved
between invocations of the program.

Rationale: IEEE standard P1003.2 (POSIX, part 2) makes requirements that
are similar to the above section.

Although data stored in /tmp may be deleted in a site-specific manner, it
is recommended that files and directories located in /tmp be deleted
whenever the system is booted.

FHS added this recommendation on the basis of historical precedent and
common practice, but did not make it a requirement because system
administration is not within the scope of this standard.

So it is safe to delete /tmp when you know that no running programs are using any file there. You can delete /tmp in the beginning of the boot process, as the FHS itself suggests. I think this already happens automatically on Debian, but I'm not sure.
--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.