Re: how to switch between different network configurations?

> I have to switch the network configurations between the lab, the dorm and the
> home ones. Normally I manullay edit /etc/network/interfaces and restart the
> networking.

Since you are already using /etc/network/interfaces take a look at

man ifup

Especially see "ifup eth0=home"

On my laptop, the analogue is

ifup eth1=home

because the wireless interface is eth1.

The next suggestion I have *not* tested, but it is also in

man ifup

       -i FILE, --interfaces=FILE
              Read  interface  definitions from FILE instead of from /etc/net-
              work/interfaces.

If this means what it seems to mean, you can write a different file
for each of your configurations, and start ifup with the i option.

ifup is part of the package (in stable) ifupdown.

See also man ifdown.

--
Hugh Lawson
hlawson@triad.rr.com