USP drive performance

Greetings:

This is a "what if" question:

suppose I buy a computer with one hard drive bay.
Example: dell c521.
 I might initially partition the existing hard drive and put the
current debian on one partition, sharing that hard drive with
windows vista.

Now then, suppose in the coming year, I consider getting a USB
hard drive, plugging it into my box and installing the (then) current debian
on it. What kind of performance/issues can I expect to find?

FYI: Programmer for 18 years, linux user of 7 years. Not an OS geek, but
willing to learn. currently using slack 10.0.

Thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>