Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 11:03:16AM -0400, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> On 23 Mar, Ron Johnson wrote:
>

> > On 03/23/07 08:37, judd@wadsworth.org wrote:
> > [snip]
> >>
> >>    I agree with you that we are only bound under Article 6 of the
> >> constitution to agreements that we are a signatory to.  Congress can
> >
> > Signatory?  Or ratified?
> >

>      I'd assume that the US wouldn't be considered a signatory to
> an international agreement until it's also ratified.  Perhaps I'm
> wrong about the terminology.

I believe that you are correct.  Becoming a signatory is an executive
branch function (usually some official in the state department, or the
secretary of state) is authorized to do this.  However, ratification is
a legislative (specifically, the senate) function.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez