Re: Used tasksel to remove packages, now there are dependency issues

On Friday 23 March 2007 06:54, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> Thanks for your help.
>
> ---- Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > 1.You run Debian.  You need a mail transport agent.  Many
> > scripts are set up to mail information to root.  Without a MTA,
> > this doesn't happen.  Out-of-the-box exim4 on Etch will deliver
> > local mail only.
>
> Ahhh, that explains why my other machine had exim installed by
> default too. Thanks.
>
> > Since networking is notworking, and so many things in *NIX
> > rely on networking even without being connected to a network,
> > you want the minimum trying to run.  Run in single mode
> > (either reboot single or do a shutdown (no -r or -h) to
> > single-user. When done do a full shutdown -r rather than
> > change back to RL 2.
>
> Networking is definitely working as I can access the web.
> "aptitude show openbsd-inetd" showed the status as "partially
> configured".
>
> > Its openbsd-inetd that's messing up the works.  Try
> > reinstall: # apt-get install --reinstall openbsd-inetd
>
> I tried with both apt-get and aptitude and here is the output
> (it's long):
>
> # aptitude reinstall openbsd-inetd
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Building tag database... Done
> The following packages will be REINSTALLED:
>   openbsd-inetd
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to
> remove and 0
> not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Writing extended state information... Done
> Setting up openbsd-inetd (0.20050402-5) ...
> Starting internet superserver: inetdinvoke-rc.d: initscript
> openbsd-inetd,
> action "start" failed.
> dpkg: error processing openbsd-inetd (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1

> Glen

I've just had that problem with openbsd-inetd after an apt-get update, apt-get
dist-upgrade on Etch.

I resolved it by stopping the daemon using SysV-init Editor, then simply
running apt-get dist-upgrade again, which then ran to completion.

It would appear that the update for openbsd-inetd wasn't being installed
properly because the daemon was not being stopped prior to installing the
update, and is why you see the start failed comment.

Don't know if that's any help.

Nigel.