Re: How to run fetchmail as daemon at startup

On 22 Mar, Greg Folkert wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-22 at 11:38 +0800, Jian Jun Wang wrote:
>>
>> I installed Debian etch on my laptop and I want to configure
>> fetchmail to get my mails from gmail. In order to run fetchmail at
>> startup, I did
>> 1. Installed sysv-rc-conf and toggle fetchmail in it as root
>> 2. edit /etc/default/fetchmail, to make it as daemon
>> 3. edit $HOME/.fetchmailrc
>>
>> defaults
>> mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %T"
>>
>> set logfile "/home/jerry/.log/fetchmail.log"
>
> Sorry, but running fetchmail as a daemon is the worst possible way to
> run fetchmail.
>
> Run it as a cronjob as a job as your user. It will work. You just need
> to setup your .fetchmailrc properly.
>
> ANYTIME I've run fetchmail as a system daemon it dies sooner or later.
> Usually sooner. Or even better yet it stalls. never more to retrieve
> mail.

     Is this typical of other users' experience?  I've been running
fetchmail as a daemon on my home box, with a size limit and a time
interval of 15 minutes.  It quite often stops before downloading all
the messages.  I've run it in verbose mode and logged the output; it
ends with a message something like "Client/server protocol error".
I've never taken the time to investigate it further, as it continues
downloading at the next designated time.

     In what way is it better as a cron job?  I'll change the setup
if there are advantages to it.

-Chris

|   Christopher Judd, Ph. D.                      judd@wadsworth.org   |