Re: How can I force a clean reinstall of xfree86?

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 20:40 -0700, wix@eskimo.com wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> Before I do the Windows thing of a complete reinwtall of
> the system for the fourth time, can anybody tell me how to
> do this?
>
> There is something wrong and the xserver won't come up.
>
> All it says is "I cannot start the X server" and some other
> general stuff.

The "some other general stuff" in the logs is exactly the info w need to
help you. Error messages are there for a reason.

> I have tried running dpkg-reconfigure xfree86
> several times but somthing is not getting completely reset
> because I still have the same problem.

try copying the current /etc/X11/XF86-config to your home dir, for safe
keeping.

Then as "root" run "dexconf > /etc/X11/XF86-config"

Then you should be able to run "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
successfully.

You see Sarge has the "self-preservation" thing with X that was overcome
after Sarges release.

> I also tried doing a --forcereinstall with apt-get and that
> didn't do the trick either.
>
> Anybody know how to force a full reinstall?

BTW, remove and re-install is typically NOT going to work in the Linux
world. Remember this is NOT Microsoft's Windows.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup