Re: Change Locale of One/All Running Application(s)

Masatran, R. Deepak <masatran@research.iiit.ac.in>:

>  * John Hasler <jhasler@debian.org> 2007-03-18
> > Masatran, R. Deepak writes:
> > > This is an important requirement for many users, especially non-English
> > > speakers.
> >
> > When would a user need to change the locale of a running program?
>
>  When I give a demo to my friend, I want the desktop environment to use my
>  friend's language.

Then determine the locale your friend understands, set your locale to
that value, logout, then log back in, and re-start your applications.
Your session will be in the locale your friend understands.

If some other system does this more to your liking, use it.  *nix
doesn't do this (without extensive re-writing/re-development).

This is a corner case which very few users would need in day to day
usage.  You're welcome to offer your changes to the developers.  I
wouldn't hold out much hope of them being implemented though, without
strong reasoning why they should.  It would be a massive change.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html