Re: how to switch between different network configurations?

H.S. wrote:
Wackojacko wrote:

H.S. wrote:
Zhengquan Zhang mailing list wrote:
I have to switch the network configurations between the lab, the dorm
and the
home ones. Normally I manullay edit /etc/network/interfaces and
restart the
networking.

Is there any easier and smarter way of doing this?
Take a look at network-manager. You can switch between different
profiles.

->HS

IIRC wpasupplicant can handle multiple networks.  Just put the different
networks in a conf file, point /etc/network/interfaces to this file and
it *should* do the rest.  No need to enter anything unless the keys change.

HTH

Wackojacko

So if I were to go to an internet cafe, I would need to put that
network's configuration in the conf file as well, wouldn't I?

Yes, but the OP talked about three different but frequently used networks, for this I think wpasupplicant would be better.

And is
that conf file writable only by root?

I'm not sure, but as you can put the conf file anywhere I suppose it may be possible to put it in home and make it user editable. Untested though :)

HTH

Wackojacko
->HS