Re: Unable to change tty /dev/tty1

On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:53:29 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:

> Mr. Suhas Ghosh wrote:
> > Hi All,
> > I am using Debian Sarge 2.4.27. My root file system is read only.
> > Now after login I am getting a error like this:
> > Unable to change tty /dev/tty1 : Read Only file System.
> > Though it successfully login.
> > Can you please suggest me how to get relief from this message.
> > Is it very harmful to system
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Suhas
> >

> It seems like we just had this question.  Why is your file system read
> only?  It shouldn't be.

My guess is it was remounted read-only due to a hard disk error. I have
to admit, though, that the first part of the message can also be
understood to mean that he for some reason made it read-only
deliberately.

Mr. Gosh: If your root file system became read-only "suddenly, on its
own", then it is likely that there is a problem with your hard disk. You
may have to buy a new one. Make sure that you have up-to-date backups of
all your important files. You can check /var/log/syslog for error
messages about your hard disk. If you tried to reboot already and the
root file system is still read-only then there may be errors occurring
during every boot. In that case you really have to get a new drive as
soon as possible.

--
Regards,
          Florian