Re: vi, vim, and update-alternatives

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:45:31PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
> > 'vi' is not in this list, so I can't say what vim.tiny should do when
> > it is invoked via the update-alternatives symlink, vi, but I think it
> > is not doing something that its maintainers intend. Is this a bug? Or
> > is it working in some mode that is useful, but only to those users who
> > are familiar with that secret?
>
> It's operating in a mode that is as close to classical unix vi as
> possible with vim. Specifically, it's intended to be fairly close to how
> nvi works, since nvi was what you got if you ran "vi" in a default
> install prior to etch.
>
> > I suppose that separating out vim-doc into a package by itself is a
> > convenient way to keep Debian small for server boxes, but can't
> > vim-doc be included in the 'Desktop environment' task in tasksel?
>
> What does vim documentation have to do with a Desktop?

It got me access to the man page for vim, which was a great help in
understanding my problem. A separate man page for vim.tiny would
likely have settled all my issues without my original post. My point is
that a reasonable 'desktop environment' should, of course, include vim,
_and_ it should also include the man page for vim. But the current install
doesn't. But I still love Debian ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net