Re: Uninstall (nearly) everything installed after spacific date

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:15:29AM +0800, Bob wrote:

> As for why I'm doing this, well I have a PC which is ultimately
> earmarked to be a headless MythTV BackEnd but I've been using it to
> experiment with packages to figure out which ones I like for my personal
> desktop and also for a couple of old P!!!s I have as MythTV FrontEnds
> and would like to guests girlfriends and me to be able to surf the web
> and edit a document at, consequently it has lodes of stuff installed on
> it that I don't want, I was just about to reinstall Etch to clear it
> when I thought this way would be an interesting learning experience and
> a challenge for me, this list and apt.
>
> Ultimately if it doesn't work I'm running apt-proxy on my file server so
> a reinstall doesn't take long.

Why not just use aptitude interactivly (that's how I do it), limit the
display to everything but base system, mark those to be purged, remove
the limit, the unpurge anything you want to keep that you already have
installed.  This assumes that you've alreay set up aptitude with
manual and automatic install (and don't have it install recommends by
default).  Aptitude should then handle everything.

The only reason I ever reinstall is if I need to move drives around or
if there are features of the new installer that make it easier to
reinstall rather than reconfigure a base system.

YMMV

Doug.