Re: Unable to change tty /dev/tty1 : Read Only file System

Mr.Suhas Ghosh wrote:
Hi All,
I am using Debian Sarge. My root file system is read only.
Now after login I am getting a error like this:
Unable to change tty /dev/tty1 : Read Only file System.
Though it successfully login.
Can you please suggest me how to get relief from this message.
Thanks in advance.
Suhas

Make your root filesystem read/write. In normal operation, the OS will need to write or change metadata for many different files. And in some installs, many or all of these can be on the root filesystem.

That said, the question then is "Why would your root filesystem be read only?" Is the boot process failing at some point and dropping you into single user mode? Did you do something to /etc/fstab to force root to mount read only? If so, why?