DSSI "path not found" after upgrade to Etch

I'd appreciate a bit of help to fix this problem.

I had DSSI plugins installed on Sarge from Willem Engen's repo, and they had
been working ok, but since upgrading to Etch, the desktop launchers fail to
work. Trying as user on the CLI with the same command, I got a DSSI "path not
found", and the plugin obviously doesn't load.

The path was "jack-dssi-host whysynth.so" as an example, and if I changed it
on the desktop launcher to the full path
"jack-dssi-host /usr/lib/dssi/0.9/whysynth.so" whysynth starts ok, and same
goes for the CLI.

I Googled DSSI_PATH , and a spanish blog suggested,
export DSSI_PATH=/usr/lib/dssi/0.9
followed by
echo $DSSI_PATH
which verified the path as /usr/lib/dssi/0.9

I can now load the dssi plugin on the CLI with "jack-dssi-host whysynth.so",
but the same command on the desktop launcher still won't work.

The spanish blog also suggested adding to ~/.bashrc
export DSSI_PATH=/usr/lib/dssi/0.9
Which I did by adding it to the bottom of the file (I havn't messed
with .bashrc before) , still no change from the destop launchers for the
plugins. Logged out of KDE, then back in, but no change.

Now I'm stuck.

Would ~/.bash_profile, which is also still at default status have any effect
on the entry I made in ~/.bashrc?  I've put it below.

Last login: Mon Mar 19 14:41:29 2007
djmons@debian:~$ cat ~/.bash_profile
# ~/.bash_profile: executed by bash(1) for login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files for examples.
# the files are located in the bash-doc package.

umask 022

# the rest of this file is commented out.

# include .bashrc if it exists

#if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
#    source ~/.bashrc
#fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
#if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
#    PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
#fi

# do the same with MANPATH