Re: nvidia-glx in experimental

On Sunday 18 March 2007, debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> I'm aware of the new version and I think the 9476 will be ok for me.
> Besides I'm tired of reinstallng the drivers using the nvidia-installer
> every time I update my kernel or mesa libs (eg. when I update mesa
> development packages, which are required by other dev packages, I must
> reinstall the nvidia drivers)...

I found using Nvidia'a (allbeit pain in the butt to keep reinstalling) driver
and glx twice as fast as what was on Sid.

Another note: Many older cards are no longer supported as of the 97** series
drivers. For example, my geforce mx400 chip. 9631 is the end of the line
here.

Another note: Certain migrational #define SA_.... in
include/linux/interrupts.h of kernel source are obseleted but still used by
"older" nvidia drivers (I heard 9755 is OK). These lines are still in kernel
sources but can be removed by certain patches and then the nvidia driver will
not compile (no matter from where one got it). If you are patching your
kernel, saved a copy of interrupts.h first in case you need to reinsert those
#defines later on!