input/output error, looks bad!

Hi,

I have a very strange and ominous problem. After trying to exit from
slrn, slrn spent a very long time writing the updates .jnewsrc file,
eventually exiting with a disk full error. (I have multiple gigs of
free space in / and /home). Following this I could not do anything -
most commands were greeted with something like:

bash: /bin/df Input/Output Error

I could still us ls, and I got aptitude to open but with big ugly
warnings about how it couldn't write files and no changes could be
made. shutdown didn't work (Input/Output Error etc.) , and logging out
dumped me at a log-in prompt instead of gdm, so I just hit the power
button. I rebooted, then issued

shutdown -rf now

to get an fsck of both / and /home. Now I'm up and running again, but
very worried that my disk is about to die.

fsck didn't seem to produce any warning messages, but I'm not sure how
to check this. How do I know if fsck found any errors, and if it does
does it fix them or just let you know?

How should I proceed in making sure my computer isn't going to die and
take all my data with it? (I am in the process of backing up all my
files, which I hadn't done in the last *two weeks*. stupid stupid me.)
>From what I found on google this is either the beginning of the end of
my harddrive, or just a trivial hiccup resulting from slrn crashing
and corrupting some bit of file somewhere.

--
Regards,

Tyler Smit